Image Analysis Specialist at the ZMBH Light Microscopy Core Facility
University of Heidelberg, Germany
Within the life sciences faculties of the University of Heidelberg, the ZMBH (Zentrum für Molekulare Biologie der Universität Heidelberg) is a center of excellence for both research and higher education in basic and biomedical molecular biology. Our research aims at fundamental questions of molecular and cellular biology at the level of molecules, cells and organisms.
The ZMBH Imaging Facility seeks to recruit a highly motivated individual to join its team working in the light microscopy core facility in an academic research environment. The Imaging Facility employs a broad range of imaging technologies, is equipped with state-of-the-art microscopes and has a number of research groups working at the interface of biology and biophysics as well as imaging technology development (e.g. superresolution microscopy). This provides an exciting and unique opportunity to work on image processing and analysis in a multidisciplinary environment with researchers in the life sciences.
Remuneration will be based on qualification and the salary structure of the TV-L (public service tariff scale). The initial contract is limited to 2 years.
• Manage image processing software (ImageJ/Fiji,..).
• Help scientists design and build successful image analysis pipelines and data flows using a variety of open source and commercial software packages (ImageJ macro language, Java, Python, MATLAB).
• Manage a “walk-in” advisory service for scientists to guide them to the correct software and image analysis solution.
• Train staff and graduate students in image analysis techniques through workshops and practical courses.
• Collaborate with researchers by writing/implementing algorithms to solve image processing problems from cell biology microscopy data.
• Manage, test and evaluate image acquisition software of microscope systems.
• Maintain the computer workstations of the ZMBH Imaging Facility.
• Proven experience applying and/or developing image analysis tools and applications with ImageJ/Fiji, MATLAB, Java or equivalent programming language.
• A university degree (Master degree or, ideally, a PhD) in Biology, Physics, Computer Science, Mathematics or equivalent qualification (e.g. Electrical Engineering).
• Ability to work in a team.
• Experience in light microscopy is welcome but not required.
• Ability to give courses in image processing and analysis.
• Must be fluent in English and have excellent communication skills both verbal and written. Fairly basic German language skills are needed.
Please send your CV and relevant documents by email to Dr. Holger Lorenz, email@example.com, with the subject “Image Analysis Specialist”. The deadline for applications is August 31, 2017.