- 1 2nd Training School for Early Career Researchers (TS4), Gothenburg 2017
- 1.1 Topics:
- 1.2 Requirements
- 1.3 Trainers
- 1.4 Schedule (provisional)
- 1.5 What is, and what is not, included?
- 1.6 Venue & contacts (both training schools and Taggathon)
- 1.7 Hotels near the Venue (Training school & taggathon venue):
- 1.8 Contact information
- 1.9 Travel Grants
- 1.10 Selection Criteria (for all, including granted Trainees):
- 1.11 Ready to apply (click to access application form)?
2nd Training School for Early Career Researchers (TS4), Gothenburg 2017
- Gothenburg- September 11-14th (Mon-Thu), 2017
- Number of available seats for trainees: 25
- Number of available trainers to assist them: ~12
- Deadline for applications: TBA
- Principles, techniques and ethics of digital image processing
- Enhancement & processing of bioimages for analysis and publication
- Building practical workflows with free GUI tools to analyse 2D, 3D & time-lapse bioimages
(eg. object segmentation and densitometry, spot detection & tracking or filament tracing)
- Introduction to workflow automation (record and reuse commands/pipelines)
- NOTE – the focus of the ECI TS is on workflows with GUI tools, so it is not the ideal course for researchers who are already advanced into image analysis or are interested mostly in learning scripting or ij macro language! NeuBIAS is also organizing a Training Schools for Staff in the same dates and venue, with that emphasis.
- Extracting and validating quantitative numerical data from bioimages
- Solve your own IA problem, create your workflows, explore different tools!
- No specific level in image analysis knowledge is required, HOWEVER applicants should have own data to bring to the course and a well explained critical need for image analysis to advance their research work (to be presented in application form).
- Must fill valid application form before deadline (TBA) – follow link at end of this page
- Applicants are required to write a letter of motivation (paste into registration form), mention their current level of proficiency and interests, and propose a mini-project with goals for the course (e.g., a specific image analysis tool or workflow that they are interested in getting help with from our expert trainers)
- Must be able to attend all days/times of the course (no exceptions!)
- Must comply to administrative conditions and send confirmation of travel arrangements BEFORE the deadline 8TBA) after confirmation of selection (TBA) – make sure to read conditions at end of application form
What is, and what is not, included?
- Upon selection (25 trainees), all participants are provided with catering (coffee break, lunch and dinner, excluding breakfast) and course material in electronic format and on pen-drives.
- Participation to the NEUBIAS Symposium (15-17th of February, right after the Training School) is included for all training school participants – sessions + coffee breaks + lunches; bus Transfer to the Symposium on Feb 15 is also included.
- Gala dinner at the Symposium will be offered for applicants who submit an abstract before November 30th!
- Travel and Accommodation are not included (see below how to travel to the venue and hotels nearby).
- However, there are 3 grants available – check form for more information.
- Check the application form for more details (link below).
Venue & contacts (both training schools and Taggathon)
Hotels near the Venue (Training school & taggathon venue):
- Julia Fernández-Rodríguez
ECI Training School programme:
NEUBIAS will offer competitive Travel Grants to a number of the Trainees applicants affiliated to institutions in COST member countries or Near-Neighbour Countries or approved European RTD Organisations (check definitions in COST Vademecum here). Please check in the application form how to apply for those grants by filling the additional fields enabling to submit a justification. The grants are supported by COST (funding body of the NEUBIAS Action). Eligibility and reimbursement modalities will follow the criteria/general COST policies (check the Vademecum here). Granted trainees will be notified by December 20th and grants will be executed after the Training School (daily signature on attendance sheets compulsory for grant winners). The grant amounts to ~900€ for travel and accommodation, to be reimbursed against real expenses and upon acceptance, and after participation, according to COST rules (check the Vademecum here).
Selection Criteria (for all, including granted Trainees):
Trainees will be selected strictly on the basis of their scientific motivations, as described in their motivation letter. Upon selection, NEUBIAS will seek proof of the candidates status as “early career investigator” and of being actively working on the project(s) as described in the motivation letter. Gender balance and geographical distribution will be taken into consideration according to COST policies, and only after pre-selection of eligible/suitable candidates and in the case that applicants are too numerous as compared to the number of available seats. Evaluations of the applications is operated by “double anonymous” (no mention to name, institution, country) review by the Training Schools Evaluation Committee of NEUBIAS.